OUR VISION FOR BETTER LOCAL COMMUNITIES
In order to ensure that local residents play an integral part in making the every-day decisions that affect them we will:
1. Build on our national policy of investing an extra £300million on front-line policing by committing to work with local police to make our communities safer.
2. Introduce local planning and licensing boards to ensure decisions are taken as close to our communities as possible.
3. Allow the retention of local mayors in those communities that wish to have one.
4. Support and enhance the roles of town councils, parish councils and other local bodies in those communities that wish to have them.
5. Ensure that representatives of ALL political groupings have a voice in the new local authority by insisting on proportionality of representation on committees.
6. Create a “Town & Gown” forum to further enhance communication and cooperation with our universities.